|Photo Credit: Twitter / Microsoft|
A laptop replacement?
Technology giant Microsoft Corporation has announced its third-generation Surface Pro 3 tablet with a larger surface area to make the device more compelling as a laptop replacement.
Microsoft unveiled the device Tuesday, May 20 at an event in New York.
"This is the tablet that can replace your laptop," said Panos Panay, Microsoft's corporate VP of Surface, at a launch event.
The Surface Pro 3 features a 12-inch, 2160 x 1440 pixels with full HD resolution display. It runs on Windows 8.1, the company’s latest operating system for PCs and Microsoft Surface devices, out of the box.
Microsoft said it’s also thinner, faster, and lighter than the Surface Pro 2 and users can easily transform it from a tablet to laptop with detachable keyboards. It’ll be available with a Surface Pen stylus and accessories such an improved Type cover, docking station and Ethernet network adapter.
The Surface Pro 3 comes in a choice of Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors with a price starting at $799 and can be pre-ordered from Wednesday. See the specs and prices below.
- Core i3 - 4 GB RAM - 64 GB Storage - $799
- Core i5 - 4 GB RAM - 128 GB Storage - $999
- Core i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB Storage - $1,299
- Core i7 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB Storage - $1,549
- Core i7 - 8 GB RAM - 512 GB Storage - $1,949
- Surface Pro Type Cover - $129.99
- Additional Surface Pen - $42.99
- Additional 36W Power Supply
- Additional Pen Loop - $4.99
- Docking Station - $199.99
- Surface Ethernet Adapter - $39.99
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 specifications:
- 12-inch ClearType Full HD display @ 2160 x 1440
- 4th-generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processor
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- 4 GB or 8 GB RAM
- Storage: 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB, 512 GB
- microSD card reader
- WiFi 802.11ac / 802.11 a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 4.0 low energy technology
- Full-size USB 3.0
- Windows 8.1 Pro OS
- 5MP and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras
- 1.76 lbs (weight)
The Surface Pro 3 will be available in US and Canada on June 20, with an international release in August.
Video: Surface Pro 3—The Tablet that Can Replace Your Laptop
Witness the next evolution of productivity. Introducing the Surface Pro 3, the tablet that can replace your laptop.