|Photo Credit: Twitter / iPhoneHackx|
Apple unveiled iOS 8 at WWDC 2014 Keynote address and the company announced that the beta version of its new mobile operating system will be available for download for developer testing.
Developers and anyone else can sign up for the Apple’s beta program and download the software. If you’re not a member of the program, you can enroll for $99 per year.
For those who have iOS developer account can now visit Apple’s developer page and download iOS 8 Beta.
- Back up your important data on the iOS device via iCloud or iTunes before upgrading to iOS 8 Beta.
- Ensure that your device features in the following compatibility list:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
- iPad Air, Retina iPad mini, iPad with Retina Display (iPad 4, iPad 3), iPad 2, iPad mini
- iPod touch (5th generation)
- As the Beta versions often come with untested bugs, users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
From iphoncehacks.com, here’s the step-by-step instructions how to install iOS 8 beta on your iOS device.
How to Get a Registered UDID on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Login to your registered developer account via iOS Dev Center and choose Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles at the top right of sidebar.
- Click Devices in the left navigational panel and hit '+' button to add the device.
- Now enter the device UDID which is a 40 hex character string, using Xcode or iTunes.
- Xcode method: Connect the iOS device to your Mac and launch Xcode. In Xcode, go to Window drop down menu and select Organizer. Your device UDID is now accessible. Double-click on it to select it and then hold "Command + C" to copy the UDID to clipboard.
- iTunes method: Connect the device to your Mac and open iTunes. In iTunes, choose your iOS device under Devices section and go to Summary tab. Click the Serial Number label to unlock the Identifier field and view the 40 hex character UDID. Right-click on the UDID and then select Copy Identifier (UDID) to copy it to the clipboard.
- Return to iOS Dev Center and enter the name of iOS device. Now, paste the UDID that you copied earlier and hit Continue.
- When you are prompted to re-evaluate details, just clock Register button and then hit Done to complete the registration process on your iOS device.
Download iOS Software
- Navigate back to the iOS Dev Center
- Under the iOS 8 Beta tab
- Download iOS 8 beta for your iOS device. Alternatively, you can download using the direct download links below.
- After it has been successfully downloaded, double click on the zip file to extract the .ipsw file.
- Ensure you have the latest version of iTunes installed
Install iOS 8 Beta
- You can install iOS 8 Beta using Xcode or iTunes. It is a lot easier to install using iTunes and the preferred method for app testers, so I am mentioning the iTunes method here.
- Open iTunes
- Connect your iOS device to your Mac and launch iTunes.
- In iTunes, select your iOS device from the top right corner and navigate to the Summary tab.
- Hold down on the Option key (or the Shift key in Windows) and click the Update iPhone… (iPad or iPod touch) button.
- Now select the .ipsw file from the extracted folder to install iOS 8 beta and click on the Open button.
- iTunes may prompt you that it will update your device with iOS 8. Click Ok to continue.
- You will get a ‘Slide to upgrade’ slider after it reboots. Swipe on the slider to proceed.
- Your device will reboot again, and you’ll be greeted with the ‘Hello’ welcome screen. Swipe on the ‘Slide to setup’ slider and tap on Continue and follow the on-screen instructions to setup your device.
- That’s it, you’re all set to start testing your apps on your iOS device running iOS 8 beta.
Direct Download Links for iOS 8 BetaiPad:
- iPad Air (Model A1474)
- iPad Air (Model A1475)
- iPad Air (Model A1476)
- iPad mini (Model A1489)
- iPad mini (Model A1490)
- iPad mini (Model A1491)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1458)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1459)
- iPad (4th generation Model A1460)
- iPad mini (Model A1432)
- iPad mini (Model A1454)
- iPad mini (Model A1455)
- iPad Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1453, A1533)
- iPhone 5s (Model A1457, A1518, A1528, A1530)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1456, A1532)
- iPhone 5c (Model A1507, A1516, A1526, A1529)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1428)
- iPhone 5 (Model A1429)
- iPhone 4s